Benefits of Gir Cow Milk
Gir cow milk is categorized as A2 milk. Regular consumption of A2 milk has shown reduction in autism in children, schizophrenic symptoms, incidence of cardiovascular disease , type-1 diabetes and various neurological, endocrine and immunological disorders.
Cow’s milk contains two major protein groups; caseins and whey proteins and out of which caseins account for 80% of milk protein.
- Among the caseins, beta casein is the second most abundant protein and has excellent nutritional balance of amino acids. There are 12 genetic variants of beta casein (A1, A2, A3, B, C, D, E, F, G, H1, H2, and I ) and out of these A1 and A2 are the most common. The A1 and A2 variants differ only by one amino acid, which is histidine in A1 and proline in A2.
- The milk which contain only A1 beta casein protein known as A1 milk while which contain A2 beta casein protein called as A2 milk. All Indian native cattle breeds like Gir cow produces only A2 milk.
- while the foreign cattle breeds like HF breed produces only A1 type of milk and Jersey breed produces higher A1 and low A2 milk. During 1963 under Intensive Cattle development Project (ICDP), cross breeding of native cattle with exotic dairy cattle breeds was introduced in India to increase milk production.
- Most of our pure native breeds of India are vanished and some are on the way of extinction due to this cross breeding programme. Whatever milk we get from the various sources is either A1 milk or mixture of A1 milk.
- Gir cow is one of the oldest native cow of India.
- Gir cow produces only A2 type of milk.
A broad range of studies and investigations has shown following health benefits with A2 milk intake which reduces
- autistic symptoms
- schizophrenic symptoms
- the incidence of cardiovascular disease
- type-1 diabetes incidences
- neurological disorders viz behavioral disturbances, endocrine disfunction (diabetes, endometritis etc)
Indian native dairy cows like Gir cow has only A2 beta casein protein in their milk. When Gir cow milk is consumed, the harmful BCM7 is not formed and thereby do not produce any harmful health conditions related to BCM7. Hence Gir cows are the source for safe and healthy milk.
Why A1 milk is not good for consumption?
When A1 milk is consumed, a bioactive peptide beta-casomorphine-7 (BCM7), a strong opioid (morphine like substance) is released by proteiolytic digestion in the small intestine but this BCM7 is not released when A2 milk is consumed. (3) Scientifically it is proved that BCM7 has been associated as a risk factor for (4,5,6, 7,8,9,10,11,12,13)
- Type 1 diabetes (DM-1).
- Coronary heart disease (CHD).
- Arteriosclerosis, sudden infant death syndrome.
- Formation of arterial plaque : BCM7 acts as an oxidant of low dietary lipoproteins (LDL) and oxidation of LDL is believed to be important in formation of arterial plaque.
- Autism in children
- sudden infant death syndrome
- Asperger’s syndrome
- Endocrine dysfunctions like hormone imbalance, endometritis and related infertility problems in women.
- Digestive distress and leaky gut syndrome : BCM7 is a 7 amino acid peptide that is resistant to degradation. To break this molecule down effectively requires very strong immune responses. This immune response often takes place in the gut and causes digestive distress and leaky gut syndrome. The most susceptible individuals are those who already have digestive problems and infants who naturally have increased intestinal permeability.
Populations, who consume milk containing high levels of ?-casein A1 variant, have a higher incidence of cardiovascular disease and type-1 diabetes. Hence milk from exotic cows like HF (which produces only A1 milk) , jersey (taurine type) and their crosses with native cow (which produces mixture of more A1 and less A2 milk) is potential health hazard for human being.